With the kids going back to school in the next week, one of the things on you shopping list might be a PE kit bag or a shoe bag, why not make your child’s one individual by making it yourself. Follow this easy step by step guide and make something your kids will love.
- Decide on the size of your bag and what you want it to hold, this one is going to be a shoe bag for ballet pumps, and is not going to have clothes in so it doesn’t need to be that big, but if you are making a PE bag you will need it bigger than this one.
- This bag is going to be 30cm x 20cm finished size so I will be cutting out a piece of fabric 45cm x 40cm. I have given myself 10cm at the top for turns for the drawstring channel.
- zig-zag all you edges to stop them from fraying if you want a neater finish you could hem all your edges to hide all the rough edges
- The channel will be the first thing that will be made, make a big fold for your channel pin and stitch.
- Fold your fabric over right sides together and sew together the bottom of the bag and the side of the bag, just leaving one opening.
- Thread through your cord, add a bag pull and tie a knot.
- You bag is now finished.
This is a great make and is something that you could make out of old fabric, like curtains bedding or old lining material. Or you pop in and see us and see our lovely range of fabrics at both our Bridport Dorset and Yeovil Somerset stores. For more ideas this bag could be made from our wide range of waterproof fabrics to make a swim bag another school need for going back to school with.